The Forms Instance Manager Class is a programming tool to assist VBA developers in the use
and management of instanced forms in MS Access (or other MS Office applications that support instanced forms).
The Forms Instance Manager (FIM) is a VBA class object that globally manages a collection of form instances.
The FIM overcomes the major obstacles associated with using instanced forms –
the difficulty in controlling the lifetime of an instanced form, and the inability to reliably refer to a form instance
through the VBA host application's
The Forms Instance Manager (FIM) enables a programmer to:
- Uniquely identify each form instance, including multiple instances of the same form.
- Manage any number of form instances through a single global variable.
- Fully control the lifetime of each form instance.
- Use familiar syntax to add, remove, and count form instances.
- Reference form instances using numeric or string indexes.
- Automatically generate a unique string ID based on a form's name.
- Set the focus to any form instance with a single statement.
- Find groups of instanced forms with similar names.
The Forms Instance Manager Demonstration Database contains:
- VBA source code for the Forms Instance Manager Class object
- Documentation on the class' methods and properties, including an explanation of all of the VBA code
for each of the object's methods
- Modules and forms that demonstrate how to use the Forms Instance Manager Class
- The GNU licenses under which this source code and documentation are made available for your use
Note that the Forms Instance Class is not in the public domain, but
is licensed for use at no cost to you under the GNU Lesser Public License.
- Developed in MS Access VBA (Visual Basic for Applications)
- For MS Access 2007 (Service Pack 3), MS Access 2010, and later
- Modules, forms, and other database objects are unlocked and available for inspection and modification.
Having trouble getting this application to work?
Use the Contact Me button to ask for help.
- Click the download link.
Your browser will display a file download dialog box.
- Save Forms Instance Manager Class (v2014-09-30).zip to any location on your hard drive.
- When the download is complete, follow these steps:
- browse to where you saved Forms Instance Manager Class (v2014-09-30).zip,
and right-click it.
- Choose "Extract All" from the right-click menu.
- Follow the prompts in the Extraction Wizard to extract the
Forms Instance Manager Class (v2014-09-30).accdb file to a location of your choice.
- Double-click the extracted Forms Instance Manager Class (v2014-09-30).accdb file.
- Windows will launch MS Access and open the database application.
- Unless you have extracted the .accdb file to a "trusted" location
(as defined in your MS Access local configuration), you will see this security warning message under the MS Access
- Click the Options button to display the Microsoft Office Security Options dialog (shown below).
- In the Security Options dialog, Select the "Enable This Content" option and click OK.
MS Access will now allow the VBA code in the demonstration database to execute.